Saturday, December 27, 2008

House Arrest

All of this snow is beautiful - why just look at the street below in my neighborhood. But it's been holding my car hostage and I'm going stir crazy. After getting rides all week I was S.O.L. and had to call in to work today stranded on my Redondo island once again. Of course this was after I watched my neighbor get his car stuck and, can I just say, truly has perfected the art of cussing - I was in awe of his articulation and grammar skills.
Well, in 8 hours I will be free from my snow/slush/ice prison and will be up at the mountains with my buddy! I'm so stinking excited that I can't sleep. Like at all. This is better than Christmas presents - I'm so excited to get out of my prison! So why not a Mom story? Those are always fun...



DISCLAIMER: I am not going to point out my political views - this story is for humorous purposes only. So in theory, let's just say I have *no opinion* when it comes to politics (although I'm sure most of you can guess where I truly stand...)

*ahem*

So my Mother has a fondness for putting her political views "out there". She can be forceful in her delivery so much so that I've asked that she give the newspaper her maiden name when writing in her opinion.
Of course there was one day when a co-worker called me after running into my Mother canvassing in his neighborhood. He was able to give me direct quotes from her as I cringed in my chair. But he said she was "very sweet" about it. I think he was being sweet...

But anyway, she likes to put window decals on her car so the world can see just where she stands politically. For instance - she has/had this one sign that said something intolerant and hateful like "Save Marriage; One Man & One Woman = Were a Christian and You're Not" or something like that. So obviously I'm in fear for my Mother's safety (and in fear that someone will recognize her as "Krista's Mom" in the intolerance-mobile) so whenever I get the chance I take the window decal down and hide it.
The best was when she got her car worked on and couldn't find it. She proceeded to make a HUGE SCENE at this place of business accusing everyone of taking it. Then it occured to her that I took it. When she called me after her tyriad, and I let her know where to find it in her car, I had the pleasure of hearing her apologize very quietly to those she accused.

So of course on Christmas when I see this sign: (see below) you know what I felt my duty to do.



I thought I had gotten away with it, the window decal safe in my purse. As were about to leave the driveway she remembers something she wants to show us. "Stay right there - I want to show you my new sign!"

Crap.

Minutes later she comes out, pouting and yells "Krista Rose! Where did you put it!?" Well, I'm getting rusty in my older age and didn't even plan on her having a back-up window decal. The one that I saw in her hands. So, she's getting wiser in her old age. She's picking up. But I will be back. It's for her own good - for her protection of course.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The "intolerance mobile" that is hysterical. I agree though... Everyone has a political stance, a religious belief, and an inclination on certain topics... but I believe that my purpose in life is not to convince you that mine is right and yours is wrong, but to share information (if solicited, that is key) and let you develop your own concepts. Don't force anything on me... especially not bad macaroni and cheese, gourmet mac and cheese is NOT mac an cheese. :-)

Sara said...

wow hon, you are a much bigger person than me! i realize that it is probably a game of "get your goat" by now, but i would just be too heartbroken and too disgusted to even play another round.