Monday, July 5, 2010

Adapting is a beautiful thing.

Ah summer is finally here. I also refer to summer as accelerated hiking and running season. The season of hiking long days, high elevations, faraway places and running fun races with friends. This was, of course, until I experienced an injury. But I will prevail!

Currently I'm in Physical Therapy (aka Personal Training) and they are working me. Hard. I am trying to apply everything they are putting me through. Most recently I decided to do back-to-back hikes.







Mount Zion in the Olympics is short, only 4 miles round trip, but has a very steady climb that makes you earn your summit beer. Although it was too cold to partake that day. It was a hike that was full of mist and rhododendrons (a nod to our state flower here).




I love how lush and green the Olympics are.



So this was our amazing view. It took me a half-second to take it all in.



My Zion hiking companion!



For a longer climb Big D and I did Elbow Peak in the Teanaway area. Ah yes, it was like coming home. When I went to school in Central Washington (go wildcats!) I would spend many days, getting lost in the hills and exploring various trails. The trails are usually seldom used by hikers but more so by horses and bikes. We all live as one in Central Washington. Above is some wild roses! Not me, them.



We had a very steady climb up and up with NO switchbacks so it was really good to try to readjust how I hike with my injury. On the way up Big D and I saw an old friend that we haven't seen in a while - Rainier, you are beautiful.



This hike had plenty of blue sky, lupine, and something that I mistook as indian paintbrush but Big D corrected me. So I dunno what it is but I'm sure it is cousins with the paintbrush.



A classic summit shot. I just like this "from the back" shots. Anyway - we were about to our summit but completely running out of fuel and starting to look forward to our burger and beers at The Brick in Roslyn.
Actually. Let me interject here - The Brick is totally different then when I lived over there. I'm used to grabbing a table with locals who are just as dirty and stinky as me. But when we walked in everyone was...Young. Beautiful. Clean. We owned our filth though.
I asked the young, beautiful & clean bartender the reason for the change and he cited Suncadia. Argh! I remember when it was being built how bitter I was - it was like I could speak to my future self and find out it's subsequent demise that it would cause The Brick! As I adjusted and adapted to this new Brick to myself my bitter thoughts were interrupted. The bartender. The young, beautiful & clean bartender just changed shirts. And he struggled with putting the fresh one on. And I took it all in. It was a beautiful thing. So, here's to change: Cheers!



So moving on - when choosing our summit beer both of us looked at Budweiser with Clamato and decided to try it. We knew many people who seemed to like it (including Mike you nasty bastard) and...it was like taking a big slurp of salty tomato. My reaction above.



Big D in agreement.



Ah but it's still a sweet feeling to crank out 10 miles and take in a beautiful, sunny view in complete solitude. And take note of my bada$$ cut up shirt. Big D and I were driving to the trailhead and the sunny, hot day just begged for the knife to cut up my first race shirt. Perfection.



This Book. Has been. Amazing. For me during my forced time of restraint while trying to recover from my injury. It was suggested to me quite fortuituosly at a summit Big D were enjoying with our Dude beer back in May. As I was sipping on my brew I noticed a thing of beauty - a man running towards us, up the trail, sans shirt. He stopped to talk to us and revealed that he'll be doing a 50k that next weekend and climbing Rainier the weekend after that. My heart skipped a beat.
He then said: "You have to read Born to Run."
Me: "I've never heard of it, what's it about?"
Dream man: "Just read it - you'll like it - it will change your perspective."
And just like that he was off to run 6 miles to his vehicle. I turned to Big D "I want to run 6 miles right now. Especially with him." Thanks for the inspiration man.
Just like him I won't go into detail to what's it about because I truly think it will mean different things to different people. For me it has emphasized that running is to be shared, enjoyed, done on the trail and that we are capable of FAR more than what we think. Oh yes, and the most important part: That injuries can be overcome and I will adapt. That part I was very happy to hear.


It also means that I am a big fan of chia seeds. Every day in my smoothie. No joke.
So after my serious stage of pouting and mourning the possibilities of half-marathons of 2010 down the drain, improving my speed down the drain and improving hill running down the drain I realized that adapting is just an opportunity seized. When life doesn't give us what we want (for me miles and miles of running on concrete) we have to adapt and find the niche that will keep us happy.
But....I haven't really found that niche yet but I am on my way. I am still able to hike (albiet with careful focus) and am now trail running on a very limited basis. I wasn't born to run fast but I'm determined to believe I was born to run...in some form.

1 comment:

Jason Shull said...

Excellent attitude, lil' sis! My injuries introduced me to swimming, which I now love. You'll experience the same with that positive attitude and determination. Keep it up!! But what about that selection in beer??? Fail. Get your butt over here and I will introduce you to some fine brews that will make your palate sing.