Monday, July 12, 2010

Reunions and New Peaks

Washington has been having great weather lately and a hike could not be resisted! This weekend we made our way over to the Olympics (I've neglected her for years) and did Mt. Townsend with Sugarmama Shannon and CortO.

This is a beautiful and awesome hike but there are no bathrooms at the trailhead. After finding a good spot to pop a squat I started off in good form by getting a long scratch on my naked booty and breaking off my zipper. Awesome. But I suppose every girl needs easy access hiking shorts.

The climbing started right away but very do-able switchbacks. There were lots of rhodies in bloom - total blissful way to start a hike!

We took turns "drafting"...assuming that exists in hiking like it does in running. Above is my draft.


A tunnel of rhodies.


Bite my draft.
Oh wait - see this cool idea Sugarmama Shannon has? She puts a bandana on her wrist to help wipe away the sweat because real women sweat when they hike. I'm going to steal that idea but still give her the credit.

Since the sun was out there were a lot of pretty butterflies in the sky! (And they can go twice as high...)


Getting out of the treeline the flowers started showing up and it was beautiful!


This waterfall greeted us on the way up and CortO decided to go naked hiking here. I'll give you picture proof for $$. It's PG-13 but worth every penny.


If you look above this ridge, above the clouds, you'll see a familiar friend by the name of Rainier. She was totally watching our back as we made our way up the switchbacks thru the alpine tundra.


I mean really. Really. This is amazing. I wanted to yodel. I was heavily considering frolicking and twirling since the hills were alive with the Sound of Music but figured I'd trip.

Naked CortO and Sugarmama Shannon almost to the Summit! I just realized I forgot my summit beer dangit!


Isn't this an amazing spot? The clouds were coming in but straight ahead (not pictured), on a clear day, you can see the San Juans. In typical summit form we started to talk about the burger and beer we were going to reward ourselves with.

"We look better if we squint" fka Naked CortO said.
So the place where we rewarded ourselves for a great hike was the Olympic Timber House Restaurant. Holy Moly that place was amazing - I can't wait to go back! From the outside it wasn't clear that it was a restaurant (looked like a ranger station) but on the inside it was nothing but romantic, timber beauty. The food was incredible, the wine list awesome, they had Mac & Jac's Hef on tap (a rarity for me to find) and the atmosphere was incredible. Not to mention they give away HUGE suckers if you sign the guest log (I grabbed a pina colada). Oh, and a tray of the day's desserts (about 6 or 7) are on display when you first walk in. I really think I'm going to choose the rest of my hikes based on eating at this restaurant more. Love it!


My friend Jessica and her hubby Farooq - she randomly let Big D and I know that she was in town for a few days before moving with her family to Japan. We had a great reunion with her family (twin boys included), a bonfire, hotdogs and smores. Dumb Krista didn't bring her camera but that made me wish the evening would never end. The next night we said goodbye after sushi and sake.
I love you Jessica so much - I'm so proud of you and all you've accomplished! Mount Fuji here we come!

No comments: