Friday, June 12, 2009

Colorado - Day Two

On our 2nd day we wanted to do something in Colorado Springs and quickly decided on Garden of the Gods. Pikes Peak was recommended to only do when it's sunny for the views. And perhaps I'm just spoiled by Washington State but Pike's Peak didn't seem that big...even though we know it was. Foolish eyes!





Everywhere we looked at Garden of the Gods (Pikes Peak towering above) was bright in color and absolutely beautiful. It is a bit touristy so we decided to walk the trails that surrounded the park as we made our way into it.



There were some crazy rock climbers all over - this rock wasn't that high but I still was in awe. If only I had the skill to climb a red rock.



See these little specks? Rock climbers! Best view in the house.




Did I mention how much the elevation change was kicking our butt? We would walk up a slight hill and be quickly out of breath. We could barely talk and walk at the same time. Which worked out fine because we were too busy "oohing" and "ahhing" at our surroundings.



As you can see from above the afternoon storms were starting to roll in. Looks like we were skipping Pikes Peak. I totally have Pikes Peak regret right now. So....I have to go back.



A very nice gal took this picture for us. I loved all the red rock - many of the roads in Colorado Springs were red too. Loves it.




"Ooooohhhhh", "Ahhhhhhhh".


Fun with red rocks.



So after a full day of walking in new terrain at 3-4 times the elevation that we were used to we were absolutely zonked. We headed over to Manitou Springs for some grub. It's a cute little hippy town with good beer thankfully.


Memory from our 20s:

Krista: All this desert-like terrain reminds me of my first summer in Ellensburg hiking and bonding with my new friends. Shout out to my main college hiking buddies Marketa and Alicia - two women who still mean the world to me today. Age....early 20s? Ay yi yi don't ask a 30-year-old a memory question!

Big D: Between the ages of 22-25 Big D worked at Lost Coast Brewery while attending Humboldt College. The bar we visited in Manitou Springs reminded her of Lost Coast in the summer when she worked long and hard shifts followed by playing harder at the beach with her friends.

No comments: