Friday, June 12, 2009

Colorado - Day Eight

Day Eight marked more driving in the Ford Focus - have I mentioned how much I love satellite radio? Cuz I do. We had planned to do some more geocaching on the long drive and go over the Continental Divide two times and through it once. Yes through it. I was soooo stinking excited for this tunnel - but more to that later.


We drove up and over the Continental Divide while our heads felt like they were going to pop from the elevation. We found some geocaches on the descent and I feel like a zombie. Perhaps it's the elevation or the jalapeno beer soup I had the night before in Gunnison. As we make our way to Breckenridge we see some signs for South Park. South Park Tavern, South Park Realty - am I hallucinating? I anxiously look for 4 young boys on the side of the road waiting for the bus.



We go up and over the Continental Divide again and the glorious, snowcapped mountains are steady on our right side.



And then we come to this in Breckenridge:









We frolic around Breckendrige for a while and bask in the Rocky Sun. Do we really have to fly out tomorrow? Breckenridge is a happy little ski town - humble yet big and beautiful.




As we make our way back to Denver Big D and I decide that we must, must, must come back to explore Northern Colorado and do some hiking in the Rockies. Of course we'll need a few days to get used to the elevation. Man oh man the lack of air in my lungs is humbling.







I was so stinking excited for this tunnel! I think I saw some special about it on TV years ago and I know it goes thru the Continental Divide - Big D read that it's a mile and a half long and the highest tunnel in the United States. It's also our age - completed in 1979.





This picture is inside the tunnel - who needs the fair when you have I-70? On the way out I notice that there's ski lifts on top of the tunnel. Amazing. What would the elevation be? 12,000 feet? I'm an elevation wimp.






Once we make our way into Denver my Big Bro sensed it - all him and his wife are waiting for is to sell their house so they can move to Denver. They are one with Denver.


So of course he has perfect timing calling me at that point as our stomachs are rumbling:


"Well Krista, you gotta go to Breckenridge Brewery. They are the best..."


Ok Big Bro. As I change the subject and talk about Colorado things we saw and did he keeps on bringing it back to Breckenridge Brewery:


"The Vanilla Porter is amazing - you gotta try it. I don't care if you don't drink dark beers - you'll love it."


This all sounds good and fine but I'm too exhausted and zombie-like to be excited. So Big Bro's one last selling point was:


"Breckenridge Brewery defines me. To know Breckenridge Brewery is to know me."


OK. That's where we went for dinner. It's right next to Coors Field and it wasn't a disappointment! The food was bomb digg and the beer was good. In fact I couldn't even finish my beer. Does elevation affect beer consumption? Hmmm...


Both Big D and I are too tired to remember anything from our 20s. We get up at 5:30am (Washington time) the next day to leave our beloved Colorado. Don't fly Frontier. Did I say that out loud? But seriously don't.


In the next couple days we turn 30 and were able to crank out some birthday hikes. As tired as my body was I found out that it's easier to do physical activities with all this oxygen I can pull into my lungs. Something Colorado helped me appreciate.


Were not scared turning 30 - I'm annoyed because the body upkeep is more demanding but Big D always knew our 30s would be amazing. So at this point I say, thanks for the memories 20s. You let me screw up, gain confidence, independence and shown me who to appreciate and what to walk away from.



But Colorado, I am coming back for you because you and I have unfinished business...

No comments: