Friday, June 12, 2009

Colorado - Day Six

Day Six - Mesa Verde! So stinking awesome. It was so humbling and awing to see how the Pueblans used to live. The below pic was my first glimpse - that group of people is being led by a Ranger, they are standing around an open kiva.





We learned and saw many things that day. For example, the Pueblans used urine for mortar. Waste not, want not.




This is Big D navigating her way thru the ruins - there were many steep ladders, tunnels & crevices we had to venture on. We loved it.




See the homes? All that black on the rock is from fires way back in the day. How far back you ask? Can't remember. Being 30 prevents me from recalling that information.




This is a picture of a kiva up close. I'm still just so amazed just how preserved everything was and how close we were able to get.





Another one of our tall ladders to climb. It should be mentioned that one of our Rangers picked the grumpiest 14-year-old girl to "help" him in his presentation. He even had her pick out a 13-year-old husband. Her parents loved it. We loved it as well. I had tons of second-hand embarrassment for her but she was a good sport about it. That made that Ranger my favorite...Ranger Brown I believe.




This is Big D making her way up the steep cliff wall. After we climbed the steep ladder. A lot of steep here - and we don't even have 50 pound jugs on our heads to balance and carry!





This is an outside view of Mesa Verde park - I actually took this from a nearby geocache that we found. Holler.



That full day of exploring Mesa Verde had us wiped out. We decided to wind down by drinking wine on the patio at Kelly Place and played games. Like Skip-Bo. But Big D totally cheats cuz I couldn't even win one game. Not even one.





Awww, wine. This is from a nearby winery - at the time I could of told you the name but now I've forgotten. 30, remember?




A pose I've made many times in my 20s. Which brings me to....


Memories of our 20s:

Krista: Nothing compares to Mesa Verde but spending the evening drinking wine with Big D reminds me of many nights at the cabin Big D's parents own close to Mt. Rainier. Ages 27-29.

Big D: At 21 Big D took a trip to New Mexico for one week with her Mom - the cliff dwellings they saw on that trip reminded her of Mesa Verde. Or vice versa. You know what I'm trying to say.





No comments: