Monday, September 1, 2008

Get out


So at least I get out. Yesterday as Big D, Andrea and Coach Sh ull and I drove up to the trailhead we could see nothing but green hillsides, mountains covered by mist and rain on our windshield. The picture above would be really impressive if you could see how stinking high we were! We couldn't even see how high we were but the steep grade of the trail and our burning thighs were a good indication that it was high.I was trying to brag to Bid D "See that wall of cliff and rock across the way? Yea, I hiked that b*tch" But it could barely be seen thru the clouds and mist. So then I follow it up with "Well, we'll have to do that hike when in the fall when it's sunny and the good colors are out..." She's excited. And I'm excited. I'll save face somehow.
So our pretty scenery had to be up close - what a pretty waterfall. *sigh* I'm such a scenery snob...I like the high elevation scenery. It helps me enjoy my post-hike meal more to know I used my quads to get really really really high up! Thanks for trying waterfall...you're a good consolation prize.
To the right is my hiking party. To the left is Red Mountain and Red Pass where we were heading. Oh you can't see it? Stupid mist. Stupid clouds. Trust me, you should be impressed by now.

After an intense climb we made it to our destination. It's kind of interesting - this is called Red Pond. Which we got to by climbing to Red Pass which is connected to Red Mountain. There is a lot of red. But I think it's interesting that these great mountainous features are accompanied by this itty bitty pond. No fish here Alan.
So here's the lower half of Red Mountain. Now it's just mocking us - it's covering up it's greatness so I can't show how awesome we are. I can't say "Yea, we hiked that b*tch."
Earlier in the week I had the same problem on a solo hike. I tried to climb Granite Mountain but the day was filled with clouds and mist. It's four miles to the top where there is a fire tower and the views, on a sunny day, are breathtaking. I was hopeful when I turned around and saw a little beam of sunlight poking thru to the valley below me.
But then I looked up...and there's the mist. The mountain was a lot higher than this - there is a fire tower hidden under the swallowing mist of white. Right after this I was greeted by a hiker who was heading down the mountain. He was bundled up and indicated that he didn't even make it to the top -1. It was windy and cold and 2. He spotted a bear cub. "What? A bear cub? Did you see it's Mom?" Turns out other hikers saw the cub's Mother. I start hopping up and down to shake my bear bell "Do you think this is good enough for the bears?" His advice? Just don't pet them. Thanks man...So I continue on and contemplated whether or not I should keep going. I sent consultation texts to Big D and Alan the Ogre and continued on...but hiked a bit more slowly shaking my bear bell. Then it happened...my foot slipped and half of me slid a bit down the hillside while one of my Nalgene bottles popped out of my pack. It rolled and thudded down this hillside and was gone forever. Thanks for the memories man. So, that confirmed it, I'm turning around. I hate not finishing a hike! I will get dizzy, sweaty, hot, tired, wet, hungry, I will even hike out in the dark to finish a hike. However, I ain't messing with no bear cub! Heck to the no.

So the conclusion? At least I get out. I'm hoping the fall hiking season can offer more opportunities for me to point to big hills and state "Yeah, I hiked that b*tch". But until then I think Coach Sh ull sums it up best with the above picture. Take that outdoors - I'll be coming back for ya!

No comments: