Monday, June 2, 2008

Let the hiking begin!


Yay! It's hiking season. I understand that the snow is bound and determined to stick around but I don't care - I'm stoked. Even if I have to stay on lower elevation trails for a while I am still stoked. Last summer I made a vow to hike every stinking weekend and I did with the exception of the weekends that I ran in a race. Whoo-hoo! It was good... Not sure if I can afford the gas to do the same this summer but we'll see.

Big D will be hiking Kilimanjaro pretty darn soon so I've joined her on some training hikes. We did the typical Mt. Si which wasn't as hard as we remembered. So for a change of pace today we did Mailbox Peak. I kind of consider that hike to be the "Underground Trail" because it's not that well known but it's a good butt kicker. It gains 4000 feet elevation in 2.5 miles. It's not maintained and has tons of roots that can trip you up on the way up and down. Ok -it's like this: Ever drive along steep hillsides of lush forests and wonder "what's it look like at the top?" That's Mailbox Peak. It's like someone was curious and just forged straight up whether it made sense or not. It's June 1st and we eventually found ourselves in a snowfield with our shorts on. I took a quick picture to send to Alan the Ogre before my fingers froze up.

Anyway - to commence hiking season I have taken the liberty to post some hiking rules:

1. Don't hike in jeans. This stresses me out. Do you sleep in jeans? Do you ski in jeans? Then why are you hiking in them? It just looks wicked uncomfortable and hiking in cotton is never a good idea. Especially tight jeans. Big D and I saw some *tight* jeans on the Mt. Si trail and instantly felt second-hand discomfort.

2. Don't hold hands on the trail. Seriously. If you'd like to hold hands than take a stroll around Greenlake. I consider myself a patient person (now) but being stuck behind two hand-holders makes me want to growl. Is it that necessary? Will you get lost? Will your love suffer? No...just think of the distance as a reason to be joyfully reunited at the top. I promise I'll give you your privacy.

3. Cologne/Perfume. It just doesn't make sense to me. Especially later in the season. I remember when I was younger my Mother wore a watermelon-scented Jazzercise t-shirt and the bees were SWARMING. She screamed "Don!" (my dad) the whole time. We would look at the other hikers "Who's Don??" Anyway - it was a good lesson to watch. Plus, it's hard to be huffy and puffy and take in a strong whiff of that smell. Usually I appreciate it but not in the woods. Just doesn't fit the surroundings.

4. Ipods/MP3 Players. What is the point of hiking if you extinguish one of your senses? Being in the woods can be such a therapeutic venture but when you bring that element I fear it cheapens the experience. Sure you can still smell and see but you're robbing yourself of the full experience. I equate it to watching a movie without a soundtrack. You forget what a powerful element that can play in the whole production.... However I *do* find exception in training hikes like Mt. Si. There I realize people use that hike to get in the zone of their fitness with a long-term goal in mind. Ipods can be great for that - heck, if I had to run without music I'd suck worse than I already do. And that's pretty bad.

Happy Hiking to you all! Remember to always tell a buddy where you're going and bring a headlamp. Always. I've learned this the hard way...

No comments: